Pipes freeze for a combination of three central reasons: quick drops in temperature, poor insulation, and thermostats set too low. Take these steps to protect your pipes and home when extreme winter weather arrives:
• Make sure your furnace is set no lower than 55 degrees during the winter to prevent pipes from freezing.
• A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing.
• During periods of extreme cold keep your thermostat set at the same temperature during both day and night.
• Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
• Test each faucet in your home each morning to make sure a pipe hasn't frozen.